Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tuesday Teacher Feature: Charles Dawson!

If there is anyone who knows substitute teaching, it's this guy! Meet our substitute, Charles Dawson, for this month's Tuesday Teacher Feature! He is one of our most requested and preferred teachers. Read on to find out why!

TOR: How long have you been substitute teaching with TOR?
CD: I have been substitute teaching with TOR for 4-5 years.

TOR: What is your favorite subject to teach?
CD: My favorite subject is math.

TOR: When you're not subbing, what might we find you doing?
CD: I am doing a number of things when I am not subbing.  Some of the things include: working out, repairing cars, repairing things around the house (handy-man duties), listening to music (jazz enthusiast), attending my children's sports events and gardening.  Occasionally reading, but I am an active person.

TOR: What piece of advice would you give to someone just starting out as a sub?
CD: Advice I would share with someone just starting out as a sub is to be flexible.  Flexibility is key because each school is different and has its own culture. Remember, what's important for one school may not necessarily be as important for the next. 

TOR:  What is your 'go-to' classroom management trick?
CD: I really don't have a 'go to' class management trick.  I explain to the students that "I" am THE teacher today and I am not here to babysit anyone; I am here to educate.  So, if someone needs a babysitter, they may leave the classroom to go call their parent or guardian because inappropriate will not be tolerated.  I convey my motto: "Do what you have to do, so you can do what........? (wait for answers)... what you want to do (naturally , there are parameters)!!

TOR: What do you find most rewarding about substitute teaching?
CD: I find the challenge of going to a different school on a daily basis and successfully earning the students' respect, completing all tasks asked of me while educating and motivating today's youth, America's future leaders, most rewarding.

TOR: What is the most important thing you've learned as a guest teacher in different schools?
CD: The most important thing I've learned as a guest teacher in different schools is not to be rigid in my approach to educating. There are lots of ways and teaching methods students use to learn and you will find that schools allow teachers to implement a number of nontraditional methods of teaching to educate their students.  The key is to figure out the most effective strategy to teach the material, given the small window one usually has to do it.

TOR: Describe one of your favorite moments in the classroom.
CD: One of my favorite classroom moments was when a student asked to take a picture with me. I was shocked because he always gave me a hard time (like oil and water). He was smart, well-liked, and handsome, but his behavior was far from ideal. He wanted to pursue a career in entertainment.  He told me he wanted to keep this in his archive because he appreciated me constantly challenging him to strive to be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment